Hyvärinen et al, 2016. Plos One.
- The first published placebo-controlled at-home tDCS. Sooma tDCS device was used.
- Forty-three patients (N = 43) with chronic tinnitus were given either 20 minutes of anodal tDCS over the left temporal area (LTA), bifrontal tDCS stimulation (2 mA), or sham stimulation (0.3 mA) for 10 days.
- Results showed an overall reduction in tinnitus symptoms, but no significant difference between tDCS and sham.
- The tDCS treatment was well-tolerated and considered easy to apply by the patients.
- Home-based tDCS was concluded safe as a treatment for tinnitus.