Normally, the first meeting with the patient would be conducted in the clinic, but during Covid-19, the following steps can be conducted over the phone or over video call.
1. Gather the relevant information about the patient, such as health history, medications, and contact details.
2. Make sure that the patient is eligible for the treatment by checking that they do not have any of the three contraindications: metal implants in the skull, pacemaker, or eczema in the stimulation area.
3. Determine the patient’s baseline depression score using the depression scale of your choice (for example BDI, HAMD, MADRS). The form can be sent to the patient to be filled out, and the answers recited to the clinician.
4. Go through the loaner agreement and make sure the patient has signed it before being given the equipment.
5. Lend the device and accessories to the patient. Make sure the patient receives one device, one head cap (ask the patient to measure their head circumference and pick out the correct size), one pair of electrode cups, one set of cables, and enough disposable pads and saline solution to last for the planned treatment period. During Covid-19, arrange for the equipment to be sent to the patient’s home address, or arrange for the patient to pick the equipment up with as little contact as possible.
Normally, the first treatment session would be conducted in the clinic and be administered by a nurse while simultaneously serving as an instruction for the patient on how to self-administer the treatment. But during Covid-19, the following steps can be conducted over the phone or over video call.
1. Make sure the patient has relevant instructions and materials for the treatment period. Sooma will provide you with both written instructions and video instructions for the patient on how to administer the treatment.
2. Ideally, observe the patients’ preparation and self-administration of the first treatment session over a video call, in order to make sure that they are doing it correctly.
1. During Covid-19, we recommend the following treatment protocol: 1 session per day for 6 weeks (30 sessions) + optional 10 weeks (30 sessions). Every session to consist of 2mA for 30 minutes.
2. Week 1-5: Have a weekly phone call or text with the patient, and a weekly check on the online portal if using the software platform.
3. Week 6: Call or text the patient to evaluate the results. Have them fill out a BDI/MADRS/HAMD form for an assessment of their new depression score. Decide on whether to continue the treatment, if yes, supply them with more disposables, if no, have the patient return the equipment. During Covid-19, make sure to disinfect the device before lending it to the next patient.
The Sooma Team is here to support you remotely with any questions or issues that you might have.
We also have many resources available for you, such as patient screening forms (for contraindications), patient communication and marketing materials (brochure, instructions etc.), YouTube training videos, a software platform (healthcare provider portal and mobile application), loan agreement templates and much more, to make it as easy as possible for you start treating patients with home-based Sooma depression therapy.