Zugliani et al, 2021. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry.
- Systematic review of non-TMS neurostimulation clinical trials for MDD between 2010 and 2020 in MEDLINE database through PubMed, the Cochrane Collaboration’s Clinical Trials Register (CENTRAL), PsycINFO, and Thomson Reuters’s Web of Science.
- Randomized controlled trials demonstrated the efficacy of tDCS in five of seven trials.
- tDCS augmented with sertraline, fluoxetine, citalopram, and escitalopram was superior to placebo and to tDCS only.
- tDCS with a duration of 4 or more weeks may be effective in women diagnosed with MDD in the perinatal period.
- 10 Hz-tACS was more effective in improving depressive symptoms after 2 weeks compared to 40 Hz-tACS and to sham.
- DBS, EpCS, MST, TNS, and taVNS are well tolerated and may improve the course of illness in patients with TRD.